Dogs and cats, by their nature, are very curious creatures. They like to discover new things, and follow their noses to root out strong smells. This means that they tend to go sniffing around places they shouldn’t go. But this can leave them open to discovering products that are dangerous to them. This is especially true around the house, as there are plenty of items found in everyday households that can be lethal to our furry friends. Here are a few everyday household items you need to be sure are out of your pet’s reach.
Even though they brighten up the room and help make your house lovely, there are certain plants that have proven to be poisonous to cats and dogs. For example, Lilies can cause kidney failure in cats, while Sago Palms can lead to vomiting, diarrhoea and seizures in dogs. To avoid this, we advise checking online to see which plants and flowers are lethal to cats and dogs before introducing any plants to your home. You can find which plants are poisonous to pets here.
Mouthwash and toothpaste
We’ve all had to warn the dog not to go in the bathroom. This is usually because they’ll do something like drink out of the toilet or destroy the toilet roll. But it can be especially dangerous for them to venture into the bathroom if they can get a hold of your toothpaste and mouthwash. Mouthwash contains boric acid, which can be very harmful to pets, while toothpaste contains fluoride, which can cause gastrointestinal upset in pets. So make sure you’ve always got your dental products secure and hidden away in a cupboard to avoid any upset tummies.
Play Dough is great for keeping the kids entertained, but it can also be particularly fatal to your pet. Many play dough recipes contain flour, food colouring, oil, and a large amount of salt. Pets ingesting this can cause them to develop salt toxicity. In mild cases, this leads to diarrhoea and vomiting, but in severe cases, it can lead to tremors, seizures and can even prove to be fatal. Thus, it is always vital that play dough is kept out of your pets reach.
Essential oils have become a popular product among customers looking to switch from chemical-heavy products to something more organic. But this also can be dangerous for your pets to consume. As we previously explained, certain plants can be dangerous to pets. Some of these oils are made from them, making the oils poisonous to pets. These oils can cause weakness, trembling and hyperthermia in pets if consumed. If you’d like to know which oils are safe for pets and which are dangerous, you can learn more here.
This may seem obvious, but antifreeze is actually a very enticing product for pets to sniff out and find. Antifreeze has a very sweet smell and taste and is very attractive to pets. But, antifreeze is also especially poisonous to pets, even in small amounts. As little as a teaspoon’s worth can lead to kidney failure and death if not treated immediately. Make sure that if you have antifreeze anywhere in your home, it is in a sealed container and out of reach. Also, make sure to look for any potential spills your pet could find on their journeys.
The most common item found in any household items, you will always find a stray penny somewhere. Down the side of the sofa; in the kitchen; in random cupboards; they’re everywhere. But coins can also prove a poisonous household item to our furry friends. Pennies contain zinc, which if ingested by cats or dogs, can cause diarrhoea, vomiting, stomach pains and elevated body temperature. So, if you come across any pennies in your house, make sure they’re quickly taken out of sight of any inquisitive pets.