April 1st marked National Pet Month - now in its 27th year National Pet Month is all about celebrating our lovely pets, while also promoting responsible ownership.
When caring for your pet you need to think about these basic needs:
Here are some tips from National Pet Month on responsible ownership:
1. Think carefully before getting a pet and learn about its special requirements.
2. Ensure your pet is sociable and well trained.
3. Provide a nutritious and well balanced diet.
4. Provide suitable housing and bedding.
5. Clean up after your pet and worm it regularly.
6. Protect against disease. Your vet can provide you with advice.
7. Prevent unwanted litters and neuter your pet when appropriate.
8. Groom your pet regularly.
9. Control your pet and ensure it is properly identified.
10. Take out pet insurance for dogs, cats, rabbits and horses to cover against unexpected veterinary fees and third party liability.
Are you doing anything to support National Pet Month this month? Why not share your pictures of any fundraising events you are involved in on our Facebook or Twitter pages?